Monday 16 January 2017

OUT OF TIME by Loretta Livingstone

Amazon UK  £1.99  / £5.95
Amazon US   $2.47  / $10.69
Amazon CA $n.a $13.95

Time slip / adventure / series
20th century / 12th century
England
series #1

May 2006. Marion settles to rest in the shade of an ancient tree in the grounds of Sparnstow Abbey, leaving her daughters, Shannon and Chloe to explore the historical site… and then finds herself back in 1191 when the Abbey is a busy community and John, youngest son of Henry II is on the prowl.

Time travel stories are not always easy to write – the characters, situations, and the research, has to be thoroughly believable for the time slip element to work. And this novel works, it works very well indeed. The dialogue, for the past and the present, is convincingly written, bringing the medieval world to life as much as the modern scenes. Admittedly the plot is a little contrived in places, and I could make a few nit-pick quibbles about plausibility, but this is fiction and not meant to be taken as serious historical literature, and anyway the subject matter itself of Time Travel is not exactly 'fact' is it? This is a highly enjoyable and readable story. Ms Livingstone has proved her worth as a creditable, skilled, and entertaining writer.

Out of Time is a light and easy read, ideal for a holiday, or to read on an otherwise tedious journey. My only ‘complaint’ is that the story itself is too short, I could happily have read on for another one-hundred or so pages. But hurrah! I believe there is to be a sequel...!

©Mary Chapple Discovering Diamonds


< Previous Review .... Next Review >

9 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely review, Mary. I'm thrilled to know you enjoyed Out of Time. And thanks to you, Helen, for setting up this brilliant new review site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Loretta, I'll pass your message to Mary (she's not a computer-based user)

      Delete
  2. I have this book, and I think it's fabulous! I love historical fiction and time travel, so what more could I ask for? The book is very well written and painstakingly researched. And John is such a slimy character, he makes your skin crawl just reading about him. I read a character interview that Loretta wrote with John as the interviewee. It was very well done and worth the read and a perfect introduction to his personality in this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting the blog, Heidi. Also for buying the book. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Heidi - I agree, Out Of Time is such a n enjoyable read! (As for John - he is one character from the past I would NOT like to meet!)

      Delete
    3. Lol, he seemed to enjoy meeting you.

      Delete
  3. Have added this to my TBR list! Love this time period. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh bless you, Char, thank you. I hope you enjoy it. 😊

      Delete

We do not accept comments. If you need to contact Discovering Diamonds go to the CONTACT facility

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.